Elvis His Hand in Mine....to buy or not to buy?

All the Elvis you can take

buying the old ftd ?

Poll ended at Sat Apr 20, 2019 5:41 pm

No, wait until FTD releases this session. Don't buy the old Ftd.
10%
Yes, buy the old FTD (cause you will be yourself together with the " man in the sky" until FTD releases the complete session)
90%

Total votes: 10

Topic author
Pacer

Elvis His Hand in Mine....to buy or not to buy?

Postby Pacer » Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:41 pm

I missed buying this ftd back then.
And I thought maybe they will release it in the future.
Last weekend while driving i listened to the masters in my car and it strikes me how bad some tracks sounded....comparing to their reputation.
"Milky white way" has 2 spots were the tape seemed damaged and the sound on those spots is a tiny bit distorted.
" I believe in the man in the sky" has 3 major pops in it (I never realized it before.....but it's pretty bad. Under headphones your eardrums must go...).
I listened to CD 2 on YouTube of the said ftd and thought that the outtakes sound very good (besides the over intrusive Jordanaires).
My question is.....buying the old ftd or do you think I should wait until ftd releases the complete session?
Cause if I buy this and ftd releases the session again....I feel "his"(Ernst')hand in mine".

Mister Moon

Re: Elvis His Hand in Mine....to buy or not to buy?

Postby Mister Moon » Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:56 pm

Pacer wrote:I missed buying this ftd back then.
Last weekend while driving i listened to the masters in my car and it strikes me how bad some tracks sounded....comparing to their reputation.
"Milky white way" has 2 spots were the tape seemed damaged and the sound on those spots is a tiny bit distorted.
" I believe in the man in the sky" has 3 major pops in it (I never realized it before.....but it's pretty bad. Under headphones your eardrums must go...).
I listened to CD 2 on YouTube of the said ftd and thought that the outtakes sound very good (besides the over intrusive Jordanaires).
My question is.....buying the old ftd or do you think I should wait until ftd releases the complete session?
Cause if I buy this and ftd releases the session again....I feel "his"(Ernst')hand in mine".

The FTD extended release of "His Hand In Mine" already includes 99% of the material from that session, including "Surrender" and "Crying In The Chapel".

I believe the only thing missing is take 9 of "He Knows Just What I Need", available on the extended FTD release of "Elvis' Golden Records - Volume 3".

John

Postby John » Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:07 pm

Mister Moon wrote:

The FTD extended release of "His Hand In Mine" already includes 99% of the material from that session, including "Surrender" and "Crying In The Chapel".

I believe the only thing missing is take 9 of "He Knows Just What I Need", available on the extended FTD release of "Elvis' Golden Records - Volume 3".

I don't think T4 of Surrender has had an official release apart from as part of the master.

Anyway Pacer, get the FTD if you want it. Why wait?

Topic author
Pacer

Postby Pacer » Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:11 pm

Don't wanna buy it again in 2 years in terms of the "complete session"....
I am on the fence...

Mister Moon

Postby Mister Moon » Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:18 pm

John wrote:
Mister Moon wrote:

I don't think T4 of Surrender has had an official release apart from as part of the master.

Anyway Pacer, get the FTD if you want it. Why wait?

You're right, I missed that one.

Pacer, my advice is buy the current one. We don't really know for sure they will release another configuration of the same stuff, and it's already complete, save for those two tracks, that can be obtained elsewhere - see below.

How much further sonic improvement can we really expect for those nearly 60 year old recordings ?

Buy it. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ju1W0jtsejU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IRIbaetUmM

Suspicious Minds

Postby Suspicious Minds » Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:15 pm

Well done, Pacer!

I’d buy it if I were you. As mentioned above, it’s near complete. The outtakes sound fine, imo.

Maybe the masters sound a little better on the Sony gospel box set ‘I Believe: The Gospel Masters’, which is available at retail price.

F0A6B4A6-A891-42E5-B81F-3F0D42484A3A.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Don't take yourself too seriously ;-)

Suspicious Minds

Postby Suspicious Minds » Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:22 pm

Mister Moon wrote:How much further sonic improvement can we really expect for those nearly 60 year old recordings ?

Taking into account the number of sonic improvements there have been in the past, you’d start to think that Elvis must have sounded really poor! Err. ;-)

Mister Moon

Postby Mister Moon » Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:25 pm

Suspicious Minds wrote:
Mister Moon wrote:How much further sonic improvement can we really expect for those nearly 60 year old recordings ?

Taking into account the number of sonic improvements there have been in the past, you’d start to think that Elvis must have sounded really poor! Err. ;-)

Ha, ha. I bet nothing beats an original 1960 copy of "Elvis Is Back !" or "His Hand In Mine".

Suspicious Minds

Postby Suspicious Minds » Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:37 pm

Mister Moon wrote:
Suspicious Minds wrote:

Ha, ha. I bet nothing beats an original 1960 copy of "Elvis Is Back !" or "His Hand In Mine".

That could very well be true! I don’t know, but an audiophile friend of mine swears by a simple ‘rule of thumb’: what was originally released on vinyl, will always sound the best on vinyl; what was originally released on cd, will always sound the best on cd.

John

Postby John » Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:54 pm

Suspicious Minds wrote:
That could very well be true! I don’t know, but an audiophile friend of mine swears by a simple ‘rule of thumb’: what was originally released on vinyl, will always sound the best on vinyl; what was originally released on cd, will always sound the best on cd.

I'm not certain that's correct.

John

Postby John » Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:57 pm

Pacer wrote:Don't wanna buy it again in 2 years in terms of the "complete session"....
I am on the fence...

No offence, but get off the fence and go buy it. Tomorrow, or two years time, may never come. Seriously, why hold the poll anyway? On the other hand if you're happy with what you have, leave it at that. Spend the money on your sweetheart, and if you haven't got one, you may get one soon. That's a couple of cups of coffee you could buy her, and maybe a cake.

Topic author
Pacer

Postby Pacer » Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:00 pm

First, it was to try to get some opinions and to try if I can set up a poll technically.
But very much so to find opinions.
Now I know that most takes are on this set.
Didn't know before.

And on a side note....like I said...the masters of milky white way and believe in the man in the sky .......well, the aforementioned bad spots spoil somehow the listening pleasure now for me.
I cringe every time I hear that strange note on milky (caused by a tape stretch i think) and i duck now everytime I hear the pops elvis did in the microphone on "man in the sky"...

colonel snow

Postby colonel snow » Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:13 pm

The unreleased takes / workparts can be counted on the fingers of one hand. The complete session is released (in parts) on all kind of releases in mono – stereo – two track binaural mix - remixed – new backing track etc. In my opinion the FTD team should release CD’s with this complete session at the end of these series.
I prefer the release of sessions CD's with unreleased takes first.

colonel snow

Mister Moon

Postby Mister Moon » Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:22 pm

Suspicious Minds wrote:
Mister Moon wrote:
Suspicious Minds wrote:

I really don't know, but CDs are way overrated. I remember my big disappointment when I purchased my first ever CD in 1987, "The Sun Sessions CD" (see link below). After all the publicity that came with the new format, I almost believed Elvis would reincarnate in the middle of the room, but no. What I heard was no better than what I already had on record. Much to the contrary, those Bopcat label LPs stood head and shoulders over that CD. They still do over any CD version of that stuff, in fact.

"The Sun Sessions CD" - Longbox edition - 1987
https://www.theelvisforum-phoenix.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2985&p=20671&hilit=LONGBOX#p20671

KEV

Postby KEV » Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:34 pm

FACTS.

Here is the man singing his favorite style of music = FACT.

Here is a man with a backing of some of the best players in the world,singing at his best = FACT.

Audio is superb - This is the set i knew that after years of poor sound,that things on the music front was on the way up on the sound improvement.

1 more,read the reviews ...

http://www.elvisinfonet.com/ftdreview_h ... nmine.html

http://www.elvisinnorway.no/hishandinmineftd.html
Keep the FAITH MIKE :!: :!:

KEV

Return to “Everything Elvis”