Big Joe Turner
https://youtu.be/20Feq_Nt3nM

Bill Haley And The Comets
https://youtu.be/8B7xr_EjbzE
Elvis Presley
https://youtu.be/EHXB3e6Kljs
Joe Turner recorded this first before Bill Haley and Elvis -
Turner's version was recorded in New York on February 15, 1954_
The shouting chorus on his version consisted of Jesse Stone, and record label executives Jerry Wexler and Ahmet Ertegün.

The saxophone solo was by Sam "The Man" Taylor. Turner's recording was released in April 1954, reached #1 on the US Billboard R&B chart on June 12, did not move for three weeks, and peaked at #22, nearly at the same time, on the Billboard pop chart(subsequently billed as the Billboard Hot 100).
Bill Haley & His Comets' cover version of the song, recorded on June 7, 1954
Elvis Presley recorded the song,twice in a studio setting: a 1955 demo recorded at radio station KDAV in Lubbock, Texas in January 1955 while under contract with Sun Records (This recording that was not released until the 1990s.) and as a 1956 single for RCA Victor, although it was not a major hit.

Both versions by Elvis mixed Haley's and Turner's lyrics with a faster-paced version of Haley's arrangement. Although the commercially released 1956 version used Turner's "bed" version of the opening verse, alternate takes released by RCA in the 1990s indicate Presley originally intended to begin the song with Haley's "kitchen" verse.
.......................................................................................................................

John

Re: Shake Rattle And Roll

Postby John » Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:02 pm

Lyrically it was a very mucky song.

Colin B

Postby Colin B » Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:27 pm

Steve Grayson '67 wrote:... Elvis Presley recorded the song,twice in a studio setting: a 1955 demo recorded at radio station KDAV in Lubbock, Texas in January 1955 while under contract with Sun Records (This recording that was not released until the 1990s.) and as a 1956 single for RCA Victor,
although it was not a major hit. ...

RCA made sure it wasn't:

Colin B in his Issue Notes wrote:RCA adopted a somewhat chaotic release policy in the US.
They released no fewer than seven Presley singles simultaneously on August 31st, 1956.
Six of these represented his first album as singles (to be on the safe side they also issued it as three EP’s);
the seventh was the coupling: Lawdy, Miss Clawdy/Shake, Rattle & Roll.
Then Dewey Phillips – the Memphis DJ - started playing a preview acetate of the Love Me Tender title track.
This generated such public interest that the release of the Love Me Tender single was brought forward
to 28th September.
Somehow, in this profusion of material, the Lawdy, Miss Clawdy/Shake, Rattle & Roll single got
overlooked and failed to chart.
Ironically, a 4-track EP : Elvis Presley - which included these two titles
sold so well that it reached No.55 in the singles chart and eventually achieved an RIAA Gold award !
In the UK, a different release policy saw Lawdy, Miss Clawdy reach No. 15 as the flip of
Trying To Get To You in Nov. 1957.
Colin B

"Judge a man not by his answers but by his questions" - Voltaire
"Why ?" - Colin B

Topic author
Steve Grayson '67
Inactive - Lurker
Inactive - Lurker

Postby Steve Grayson '67 » Wed Jul 15, 2015 6:55 pm

thanks Colin for the info bud _best wishes sent

colonel snow

Postby colonel snow » Wed Jul 15, 2015 8:19 pm

more in the next post (s)

colonel snow
Last edited by colonel snow on Mon Dec 27, 2021 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

colonel snow

Postby colonel snow » Fri Jul 24, 2015 3:05 pm

Deleted due to doubts about the information

colonel snow
Last edited by colonel snow on Sun Sep 25, 2022 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

John

Postby John » Fri Jul 24, 2015 3:50 pm

colonel snow wrote:For the song "Shake rattle and roll" the lyrics are censored:

Big Joe Turner recorded the song 15-02-54 and sung about bedroom adventures :
"Get outta that bed and wash your face and hands".

Bill Haley recorded the song in 1954 and sung about adventures in the kitchen:
"Get outta that kitchen and rattle those pots and pans".

Big Joe Turner continues with : "Well you wear those dresses, the sun comes shining through. I can't believe my eyes that all that mess belongs to you".

Bill Haly continues with "You wear those dresses, your hair done up so nice". The see - through dress is gone.

Elvis sung about: "I'm like a one-eyed-cat peeping in a seafood store" in the master take. When you listen to the recording of different takes (take 8) from the song the lyrics has changed too.

There are more songs like One night (of sin) that the lyrics were censored.

colonel snow

The song is full of innuendo including the last verse, "well over the hill and way down underneath, you make me roll my eyes and then you make me grit my teeth".

Here's a live cleaned up version by Big Joe Turner already posted earlier by Steve grayson, but he still got the "one eyed cat" line in.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhELpSeeipg

Colin B

Postby Colin B » Fri Jul 24, 2015 3:59 pm

John wrote:...The song is full of innuendo including the last verse, "well over the hill and way down underneath, you make me roll my eyes and then you make me grit my teeth"....

I always heard that as "I've been holding in, way down underneath..." which is even more suggestive !
Colin B

"Why ?" - Colin B

John

Postby John » Fri Jul 24, 2015 9:04 pm

Colin B wrote:
John wrote:...The song is full of innuendo including the last verse, "well over the hill and way down underneath, you make me roll my eyes and then you make me grit my teeth"....

I always heard that as "I've been holding in, way down underneath..." which is even more suggestive !

It's the former and what he's saying is he's been "over the hill and way down underneath" (we all know what that means, right?) and in the act of climaxing he's rolled his eyes and gritted his teeth. I'd say that was very suggestive.

Private Presley

Postby Private Presley » Sun Aug 02, 2015 6:28 am

ImageImage

Colin B

Postby Colin B » Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:22 pm

Colin B wrote:I always heard that as "I've been holding in, way down underneath..." which is even more suggestive !
John wrote:It's the former and what he's saying is he's been "over the hill and way down underneath" (we all know what that means, right?) and in the act of climaxing he's rolled his eyes and gritted his teeth.
I'd say that was very suggestive.

Well, he certainly sings the "I've been holdin' in" lyric on some takes !

For example take 2, which we got on the 2002 4-CD 25th Anniversary set: Today Tomorrow & Forever & other releases.
Colin B

"Why ?" - Colin B

John

Postby John » Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:35 pm

Colin B wrote:
Colin B wrote:I always heard that as "I've been holding in, way down underneath..." which is even more suggestive !
John wrote:It's the former and what he's saying is he's been "over the hill and way down underneath" (we all know what that means, right?) and in the act of climaxing he's rolled his eyes and gritted his teeth.

Well, he certainly sings the "I've been holdin' in" lyric on some takes !

For example take 2, which we got on the 2002 4-CD 25th Anniversary set: Today Tomorrow & Forever & other releases.

That was a speedy reply. Over 2 years.

Colin B

Postby Colin B » Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:43 pm

Colin B wrote:Well, he certainly sings the "I've been holdin' in" lyric on some takes !

John wrote:That was a speedy reply.
Over 2 years.

Not getting any support for my interpretation of the lyric, I gave up in 2015 !

But member Jukebox has recently posted the lyrics of the 4:02 hybrid version [which some unknown 'friend' has edited together]

& he supports my view !

That prompted me to re-visit the original thread.

Not that I'm one to say 'Told you so'................but
Colin B

"Why ?" - Colin B

John

Postby John » Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:29 pm

Colin B wrote:
Colin B wrote:Well, he certainly sings the "I've been holdin' in" lyric on some takes !

John wrote:That was a speedy reply.
Over 2 years.

But member Jukebox has recently posted the lyrics of the 4:02 hybrid version [which some unknown 'friend' has edited together]

& he supports my view !

Not that I'm one to say 'Told you so'................but

I support you.

John

Postby John » Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:35 pm

Colin B wrote:

& he supports my view !

PS, the unknown friend who edited it together knows that the other line was in there given that he edited it.

Return to “First In Line M-S”