Shake Rattle And Roll

Colin B

Re: Shake Rattle And Roll

Postby Colin B » Fri Dec 22, 2017 4:05 pm

John wrote:PS, the unknown friend who edited it together knows that the other line was in there given that he edited it.

So, why couldn't he admit that I was right in 2015 ?
Colin B

"Judge a man not by his answers but by his questions" - Voltaire
"Why ?" - Colin B

TonyS
Inactive - Lurker
Inactive - Lurker

Postby TonyS » Fri Dec 22, 2017 4:41 pm

John wrote:That was a speedy reply. Over 2 years.

Imagine how long we'd have had to wait for Ken Bruce to reply!
Thankfully Colin is his junior.. Phew. :P

John

Postby John » Fri Dec 22, 2017 6:25 pm

Colin B wrote:
John wrote:PS, the unknown friend who edited it together knows that the other line was in there given that he edited it.

So, why couldn't he admit that I was right in 2015 ?

He didn't say you were wrong.

Suspicious Minds

Postby Suspicious Minds » Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:25 am

It took me 3 years, but I finally got here. Thanks for this great forum subsection and thread!

Slightly off topic:

The phrase ‘Shake, Rattle & Roll’ - not the song itself - was already used in 1912, by vaudeville performer "Baby" Franklin Seals, who published ‘You Got to Shake, Rattle and Roll’, a ragtime tune about gambling with dice.

Here’s an excerpt from the essay ‘How criticism helped the vaudeville: The spotlight on Franklin “Baby” Seals’

YOU’VE GOT TO SHAKE, RATTLE & ROLL

Born in Mobile, Alabama, “Baby” Seals is mentioned in the May 8th 1909 edition of the Freeman journal as a pianist in the Lyric Theater in Shreveport, Louisiana. (...) ng The large audience [coming to see Seals] is already a hint at the talent of Baby Seals, which is confirmed a year later when, in February, the Freeman mentions the publication of a “rag time coon song hit” by a “new composer” carrying as title: “You’ve got to shake, rattle & roll.”

The song is published by Louis Grunewald & Co, a well-established New Orleans company with a tradition of several decades, covering also classical work and popular music as waltzes. The journal adds with enthusiasm: “The song is the first effort of Mr. Seals, and from what we have heard of the piece it is bound to become a winner everywhere it is introduced, especially with minstrel troupes. It has a catchy air and real comic words.”

The chorus runs:

“You got to shake, rattle and roll,
Or my money ain’t a-gwine
Now, don’t you think you’ve caught a Gee.
If you do you’re far behin’.
Dis way you guys got squeezin’ dem Dice.
I done told you once, and now I’m tellin you twice,
You got to shake, rattle and roll,
Or my money ain’t a-gwine.”

The same year still, Franklin Seals is performing at the People’s Theater in Houston. (...) A mere two months later, Seals is pianist as well as musical director in the Ruby Theater in Galveston (Texas). [T]he Freeman journal correspondent notes that Seals is “above the average”, and that “he can put so much juice in your song that you will sing even when you don’t feel like singing”.

Read more: http://nodepression.com/article/how-cri ... -franklin-“baby”-seals

In 1919, Al Bernard also recorded a version of ‘Shake, Rattle and Roll’, about a dice game, which was wholly unrelated, except in title, to the later rock and roll song.

http://cylinders.library.ucsb.edu/searc ... linder5974
Don't take yourself too seriously ;-)

Colin B

Postby Colin B » Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:18 am

Suspicious Minds wrote:...The phrase ‘Shake, Rattle & Roll’ - not the song itself - was already used in 1912, by vaudeville performer "Baby" Franklin Seals, who published ‘You Got to Shake, Rattle and Roll’, a ragtime tune about gambling with dice...

Thanks, that's interesting !

I'd always imagined that the term 'Shake, Rattle & Roll' was a euphemism for something a bit naughtier than rolling dice !
Colin B

"Judge a man not by his answers but by his questions" - Voltaire
"Why ?" - Colin B

John

Postby John » Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:48 am

Colin B wrote:
Suspicious Minds wrote:...The phrase ‘Shake, Rattle & Roll’ - not the song itself - was already used in 1912, by vaudeville performer "Baby" Franklin Seals, who published ‘You Got to Shake, Rattle and Roll’, a ragtime tune about gambling with dice...

I'd always imagined that the term 'Shake, Rattle & Roll' was a euphemism for something a bit naughtier than rolling dice !

You got a dirty mind Willie, err, Colin.

(actually so did I, and I still do)

John

Postby John » Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:19 am

Colin B wrote:
But member Jukebox has recently posted the lyrics of the 4:02 hybrid version [which some unknown 'friend' has edited together]

Shall we re-visit that hybrid version?

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Suspicious Minds

Postby Suspicious Minds » Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:59 pm

John wrote:
Colin B wrote:

You got a dirty mind Willie, err, Colin.

(actually so did I, and I still do)

:lol:

Sneaky!
Don't take yourself too seriously ;-)

Return to “First In Line M-S”