Viva Las Vegas

Continuity gaffes and other mistakes [mostly] in Elvis movies

Topic author
John

Viva Las Vegas

Postby John » Tue Mar 10, 2015 5:30 pm

During the song Appreciation Ann-Margret goes from high heels to flat pumps.
VLV1.jpg
VLV2.jpg

During the helicopter flight Elvis is wearing a cap and headphones, there's a quick cutaway and then the headphones are down and the cap is gone.
VLVcap01a.jpg

As suggested by Basil Pesto a long time ago, one of the band suddenly is wearing sunglasses.
VLVSpecs01.jpg
VLVSpecs02.jpg

Brought to our attention by Jove with screen grabs supplied by Colin, the boy dove into the pool to get the money and emerged with a red headband on.
vlcsnap-2013-09-02-09h19m15s50.jpg
vlcsnap-2013-09-02-09h19m44s8.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Colin B

Re: Viva Las Vegas

Postby Colin B » Tue Mar 10, 2015 6:41 pm

Good to see the 'Bloopers' back !

I may have posted this before, but the Ann-Margret shoe thing might not be an actual 'mistake'.

It's a bit of Hollywood 'magic' when a lady performer is required to stand & sing [high heels] & also to dance [low heels] !

She looked great in either !
Colin B

"Judge a man not by his answers but by his questions" - Voltaire
"Why ?" - Colin B

Topic author
John

Postby John » Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:03 pm

Colin B wrote:Good to see the 'Bloopers' back !

I may have posted this before, but the Ann-Margret shoe thing might not be an actual 'mistake'.

It's a bit of Hollywood 'magic' when a lady performer is required to stand & sing [high heels] & also to dance [low heels] !

She looked great in either !

You haven't posted it before, but, she's dancing in both high heels and flats (ballet shoes) and they change in a split second. Poor continuity.

elvislady

Postby elvislady » Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:23 pm

Thanks john, its really interesting to see the bloopers...how could they get it wrong? :oops:
Welcome to my world
http://uk.youtube.com/user/elvislady

Don't judge me. You know my name, But not my story.
Thank you ( Jeanette )

Topic author
John

Postby John » Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:19 am

elvislady wrote:Thanks john, its really interesting to see the bloopers...how could they get it wrong? :oops:

It's common in the movies and on TV too. You can see it all the time if you look carefully. Sometimes I think they do it on purpose. I was watching a TV drama recently and each time they went back to a particular shot, all in the same sequence seconds apart, something in the background changed on 4 occasions. It was obvious that it was deliberately done because there was no other reason to change it.

elvislady

Postby elvislady » Wed Mar 25, 2015 6:33 pm

John wrote:
elvislady wrote:Thanks john, its really interesting to see the bloopers...how could they get it wrong? :oops:

It's common in the movies and on TV too. You can see it all the time if you look carefully. Sometimes I think they do it on purpose. I was watching a TV drama recently and each time they went back to a particular shot, all in the same sequence seconds apart, something in the background changed on 4 occasions. It was obvious that it was deliberately done because there was no other reason to change it.

Yes i seen a similar thing done also, i not sure what it was :lol: i would have loved to be there back in the day!!
Welcome to my world

Thank you ( Jeanette )

Luuk

Postby Luuk » Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:15 pm

A 90 minutes movie is filmed during 6 weeks or more.
Parts of the same scene may be filmed hours, days or even weeks apart.
That is why they shoot "wardrobe" photos. However, if one day it is sunny and the other day cloudy, one or more bandmembers may "suddenly" have sunglasses on. Or the main character climbs out of the swimming pool wet and in the next shot he "suddenly" is dry. Or things in the background "move".

elvislady

Postby elvislady » Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:20 am

Luuk wrote:

A 90 minutes movie is filmed during 6 weeks or more.
Parts of the same scene may be filmed hours, days or even weeks apart.
That is why they shoot "wardrobe" photos. However, if one day it is sunny and the other day cloudy, one or more bandmembers may "suddenly" have sunglasses on. Or the main character climbs out of the swimming pool wet and in the next shot he "suddenly" is dry. Or things in the background "move".

I watched a few episodes of Mad Men here in the UK and this is still happening... :D thanks for your info Luuk! :oops:
Welcome to my world

Thank you ( Jeanette )

Steve Grayson '67
Inactive - Lurker
Inactive - Lurker

Postby Steve Grayson '67 » Thu Jun 18, 2015 7:30 pm

Great to see these bloopers _
Even Elvis may had fun doing these scenes especially with his co star _Ann Margret _
Both were great in the 60's _

Mountain Mist

Postby Mountain Mist » Sun Mar 13, 2016 12:19 pm

I watched part of a scene for a very small movie being filmed at my cousin's house a few years ago.

To tape one scene, literally took all day. What they were filming was a person walking 15 meters or so from the bitumen on the road, into the front yard, and up the stairs to then say his lines, he met another person at the top of the stairs.

There was a stand-in for most of the day, who did the walk (the actors turned up later in the day). When the cameramen had the camera angles perfect, the smoothness of the camera dolly running perfectly, the walk completed perfectly and smoothly by the stand-in, the walk up the stairs completed perfectly - this took (so it seemed, we went shopping in the middle of it all, as it was a bit drawn out, lol) six or more hours, then the actor arrived and acted. The actor then completed the walk (he had to continue to re-do the walk and re-deliver his lines, too, which he did really well). The actor couldn't be spoken to before acting in the scene, he stood there doing breathing exercises for ages, waiting for the camera to reset up, and for the filmed scene to be watched and approved - or not. Actually, the actor acted so well, when I watched him acting in the scene, I nearly cried, although it was of course make believe (the actor was that convincing in his sadness - I peaked out from the curtain inside the house, out of camera shot, lol).

It was interesting to watch, I wouldn't want to be watching daily - boy, it took so much time to do very little.

I can see why the inconsistencies in filming due to the above.

These days, (in this instance of filming a scene, anyway) there is a person employed to make sure that there is continuity in placement of whatever needs to be consistent, with all scenes.

:D

Colin B

Postby Colin B » Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:58 pm

Not a production 'blooper' but a character doing something naughty:

vlcsnap-00020 [Cropped].jpg

Yes, it's Count Elmo Mancini [played by actor Cesare Danova ] ignoring the sign on the wall in Viva Las Vegas [1964].
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Colin B

"Judge a man not by his answers but by his questions" - Voltaire
"Why ?" - Colin B

Shawn1968

Postby Shawn1968 » Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:28 pm

Not a blooper but I've always wondered why would the kid dive in the pool to retrieve the money, and then shove it down the drain?

Topic author
John

Postby John » Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:59 pm

Shawn1968 wrote:Not a blooper but I've always wondered why would the kid dive in the pool to retrieve the money, and then shove it down the drain?

My interpretation of this is that the kid didn't appreciate what he had and he just threw it back in the water. It just happened to be by the drain.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xE8iIq-v0UA

Topic author
John

Postby John » Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:31 pm

John wrote:
Shawn1968 wrote:Not a blooper but I've always wondered why would the kid dive in the pool to retrieve the money, and then shove it down the drain?

My interpretation of this is that the kid didn't appreciate what he had and he just threw it back in the water. It just happened to be by the drain.

Incidentally, this scene is indeed a blooper and links to a post above from 2015. Jove noticed it and Colin posted a couple of screengrabs, but you can see it in the footage here. The boy dives in without a headband and emerges from the pool with one.

Shawn1968

Postby Shawn1968 » Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:31 pm

John wrote:
John wrote:

Incidentally, this scene is indeed a blooper and links to a post above from 2015. Jove noticed it and Colin posted a couple of screengrabs, but you can see it in the footage here. The boy dives in without a headband and emerges from the pool with one.

Maybe he found the headband next to the roll of money ;)

While I'm here, the other thing I find odd about the film is the car race - wow, it's like watching Death Race 2000! How many drivers die in that race? If I was a driver, it's one race I would want no part of.

Return to “Blooper Reel”